Wednesday, July 21, 2010

$10 Pumpkin Puree

As I've said before I'm not a huge fan of cooking...but I kind of like baking. Every once in awhile I'll make red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting from scratch or some other ridiculously tedious homemade goody...just for kicks.

Two days ago I decided I wanted to make some sort of delicious treat with pumpkin. Now, I know it's not Thanksgiving time and thus pumpkin pie time, but it honestly never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to find pumpkin puree just because it wasn't holiday season.

Boy was I wrong.

I went to 6, yes 6! different grocery stores to find one stupid can of pumpkin puree. I apparently also didn't take into account the fact that perhaps Aussies don't covet the pumpkin pie the was Americans do...because I found the pumpkin puree in the "American" section of a fancy grocery store. Do they not make pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving and Christmas? (And guess what else was in this section, Pop Tarts and Baconnaise, I've never seen a bottle of Baconnaise in my life, how is that American?)

Anyway, once I finally found my pumpkin puree after 2 days of searching I then discovered that it was $10! Ten Dollars for 1 goddamn can of pumpkin puree! ...but I paid it anyway and left with my pumpkin puree, after 2 days of searching I was going to make these cookies no matter the cost!

And just because I'm thinking of these right now, one
day I will do a proper linguistics post, but these are relevant Aussie speak:

I say can, they say TIN
I say cookie, they say BISCUIT

In the end, my cookies turned out absolutely delicious, i used this recipe with a few added spices because the review said they were a bit bland.

Yum! Don't they look like little nuggets of deliciousness? Yeah, I thought so.

And just because this amused me when I was in the grocery store. Rice Krispies are Rice Bubbles! Heehee

3 comments:

  1. Seems it almost may have taken less time/money to have the pumpkin puree sent from the US!

    The cookies look delish!

    What on earth is Baconnaise?! It sounds horrible! Nobody tell Davio about it!!!! I'm sure he'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BACONNAISE! YES. Get it, try it!

    Um, 10 bucks? RIP OFF! But your tummy was happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. I could have saved you the trouble. As sad as I was to discover that pumpkin puree is next to impossible to find here- I was happy to discover (thanks to my mom) that pumpkin puree is REALLY easy to make from scratch. Just get some pumpkin, slice it up and steam it. The skin comes off easily and then you just mash it up. Takes 15 minutes and it's WAY cheaper than a 10$ can. I made pumpkin pies last year from fresh pumpkin and they were great!

    P.S. Thanks for the comment on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete