Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Unpacking

We've been in San Francisco for 3 days now and I am absolutely horrified by the sheer volume of crap the 2 of us have accumulated. We have purged our belongings during each and every move.

And this is move number 4 this year.

Most of this stuff is from NYC for god's sake! We had a tiny apartment, HOW DID ALL OF THIS STUFF FIT!?

Seriously, I think I must of had the most organized kitchen EVER. And I didn't even realize it.

I've managed to fill a kitchen 3 times the size of our NYC kitchen WITH THE SAME AMOUNT OF STUFF.

NYC Kitchen:

Half of San Fran Kitchen:

Other half:


How? Just, HOW?

I also have SO many baskets, boxes and jars that I used for organizing our tiny apartment...again the sheer volume is astounding. There are A LOT of baskets around this place. I have no idea what I'm going to do with them now, especially since there is so much cupboard space.

It's overwhelming and disheartening to unpack box after box and STILL have so many more to unpack.

I have a closet full of clothes and shoes and I haven't even stumbled upon the boxes of clothes I know I left behind when we headed off for Australia.

It's amazing how much stuff you really DO NOT need.

And at the same time, it was absolutely amazing to cook breakfast this morning and use 3 DIFFERENT frying pans. I definitely missed all of our pots and pans.

Anybody else move recently and discover they have a whole hell of a lot of crap they don't need?

How can we minimize our crap?

2 comments:

  1. Believe me - if I could wiggle my nose and come help you, I would! Seriously. I love organizing and doing stuff like this! To minimize "your crap" as you call it, I would (if you have the time), just go through room by room - finishing each one before you truly begin another. I love doing closets. Take everything out. Try everything on and really edit your wardrobe down to only the things you really love. Then either have a garage sale or donate the items.

    I am kind of itching to move again - maybe somewhere like Montana or Australia? I dream of having a huge garage sale and getting rid of stuff we don't need. Just think how liberating it would be to pare everything down and only take what you absolutely need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. um. yes. We are 2 people and we completely stuffed 3 bedrooms of closets and 3 bathrooms of cupboards... I have no idea what we are going to do when we have a baby.. I don't know how we'll manage to clear out a room! the baby might have to sleep in the hallway. :-) Your kitchen is awesome, by the way!

    ReplyDelete