Monday, October 11, 2010

Booktastic: The Sixth Wife

I told you I was on a Tudor kick and I wasn't joking. At least I veered away from Anne Boleyn for a little while and moved on to Katherine Parr, Henry VIII's sixth and final wife.

The Sixth Wife by Suzannah Dunn

Another book by Suzannah Dunn, I didn't even realize it was the same author as my last book until just now.

Anyway.

This book is fiction and takes place after Henry VIII has already died and Katherine Parr is left a very rich widow. She subsequently married Henry's third wife's brother, Thomas Seymour, who she supposedly had a thing for long before she met and married Henry. Ultimately he betrays her and she dies days after giving birth to his child from childbed fever.

The narration is from the point of view of the Duchess of Suffolk, which if you've ever watched HBO's The Tudors, she's the 14 year old wife of the Duke of Suffolk, who is yummy! On the show he is anyway, Henry Cavill = pretty.

Anyway, this is after the Duke has already died as well (he died before Henry VIII, so that would be obvious to history scholars, but I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that is probably NOT who's reading my blog, though you never know, history scholars could totally be interested in me talking about myself...no?) so the Duchess is a widow and the best friend of Katherine Parr. And a dirty cheating liar! In this book she has an affair with Katherine's husband Thomas, which I totally think is completely made up and bothered me a bit.

I think after reading and learning about the real history, these historical fiction novels have lost their luster a bit for me, so while this book has sparked a bit of interest for me in the real Katherine Parr, this historical fiction novel was not my favorite and not recommended.

I know I haven't liked the last few books that I've posted, but I promise I have some good ones coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment