Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Red Center

We're halfway through our 7 months here in Oz and Spring is finally upon us! We have soooo much planned for the upcoming months it's going to be a bit exhausting for sure, but hopefully exciting as well.

A few things we plan on doing in the upcoming weeks:

Spring Carnival Horse Races - We're actually doing this THIS weekend, I'm quite excited...any opportunity to wear a fascinator and I'm in! I've never been to a horse race before so I have no idea what to expect, but I can definitely get on board with a sport where everyone dresses in their Sunday finest and drinks champagne =)

Jenolan Caves - We may try to do this this weekend as well. It's a holiday weekend here in Oz, which means Dom has Monday off and the caves are quite close, just a few hours drive from Sydney. I think these caves look amazing and I can't wait to go!

Bondi to Tamarama Coastal Walk - I've been looking forward to the Spring/Summer to do this specifically, we've spent very little time on the beach since we've been here and I can't wait for the warm weather. There is also something called Sculpture by the Sea which happens at the end of October along this walk and is supposed to be quite spectacular.

Opera at the Sydney Opera House - We've bought tickets to Pirates of Penzance, which I must admit was the only opera I recognized being performed at the opera house in the next few months...and I've only heard of it from Pretty Woman, what can I say I'm not very into operas, but come on, we have to see an opera at the opera house, right? October 28 is the big day for that, along with a fancy dinner at the Opera House restaurant which is supposed to be one of the best in Sydney.

and...

Journey to the RED CENTER of OZ...I don't know why that needed to be capitalized, just go with it. Before we came to Oz, actually coincidentally just before, like maybe a month before we found out we were coming here, we watched a show on the Travel Channel about Ayres Rock (which is now called Uluru, it's Aboriginal name), or not about Ayres Rock specifically, but it was Top 10 something or other. We both decided that it seemed like the most ridiculous place to go and that we had no desire to go there at all. It's ridiculously complicated to get there and basically it's close to nothing. Even here in Sydney it would require either a plane ride and a car trip or a very long train journey and a car trip. Unfortunately after reading Down Under by Bill Bryson we've now decided we have to go see Uluru. He's so spot on with everything that we've experienced in Australia and he found Uluru fascinating...so we're going. I don't know when we're going, but it should be soon, because in the terrible red nothingness of the middle of Oz it gets very very hot in the summer...which leaves us with 2 maybe 3 months to get our asses over there before temps hit somewhere in the 130-140 degrees mark. Yikes!

And of course there's also surfing at Manly Beach, which Dom has been looking forward to since he came here in April on his first scouting trip.

Are we missing anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment