Friday, May 7, 2010

Things I've Learned During our Scouting Trip

After spending 10 days in Sydney I already feel like I have a pretty good grasp on Sydney. The city itself is similar enough to New York in terms of walking everywhere and taking public transport, that I've had no trouble finding my way around with just a little help from a map. But there are several things that are very different, here's my list so far.

* Eggs aren't in the refrigerated section in the grocery store, they're just hanging out on the shelf like they're crackers or something.
* Everyone walks on the left, just like the cars.
* Tipping is unnecessary and not expected, which is a big thumbs up but hard to get used to, I feel rude not tipping.
* Apartment prices are advertised as weekly prices. BUT, when you sign a lease they do a fancy mathematical equation, weekly rent/7 days a week x 365/12 months and you end up with a monthly rent price...why not just advertise monthly prices?
* There are bats that come out at sunset!

* The sun is intense, even in autumn when the sun is out, it's hot and more intense than I'm used to.
I'm sure there's many more things and I'll be adding to this list from time to time after we make our official move.

All photos personal.

1 comment: