Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Birth Plan

I realized after my last post that perhaps I hadn't enlightened you all as to where and how I was planning on having this baby.

My bad.  Let me remedy that for you.

We are all alone here in CA, no family, just us.  When Jett was born this wasn't a big deal because he was our first.  It was just us to worry about when we set off for the hospital for the induction.  It was just us when we got home.  It was just us to feed.  It was just us and we laid in bed for a week enjoying our new baby.

This time is so different.  We have Jett to worry about now.

When I started to think about it I realized we had very very few options in CA regarding what to do with Jett when I went into labor.

Dom's job is to help me in labor.  The midwife's job is to help me in labor.  Who would watch Jett???  The one good friend I have here is also pregnant with her 2nd and due just 2 weeks after me.  It's entirely possible she could be in labor herself or already have a new baby by the time we're ready to have this one, so she was out as well. 

Really, my options were extremely limited.

So my thoughts turned to Oregon where all my family live and where we own a home.

We already spend our summers in Oregon, so why not just go there as planned and have the baby  where there was lots of help?

I presented the idea to my midwife here in SF and since she saw no problem with it (actually thought it was brilliant) we've plowed ahead.

Oh and we're attempting a home birth again.

If you don't remember, here was what happened last time.  Preeclampsia = hospital induction = I'm trying this again!!!

It turns out the logistics of transferring care at 32 weeks from one state to another has been relatively easy to deal with when it comes to homebirth midwives.  Perhaps since it's not a hospital I'm trying to get "in" with there has been very little resistance and lots of support.

I'm here in OR this week interviewing midwives and by the end of this week when I head back home I hope to have my OR care all lined up and ready to take over when we come back in June.

So, there you have it.  The "Plan".  Seems a little crazy but I think it's for the best for all involved.  Fingers crossed I can avoid an induction and get to stay at home this time!

4 comments:

  1. I think your plan is brilliant as well. Since I am a "planner" I was driving myself crazy with thoughts of "what if we go into labor at 2am? Do we drag Austin out of bed? Call Kenzie since she is close? Call my Mom and try and wait the two hours while they get here? Call Neal's Dad? But then things get complicated with Neal's family and they don't communicate well and I can see this person thinking this thing, and that person that thing, etc..." it's way different when you have another little person to fit in. Our plan was when I hit 39 weeks, since it was in the summer, my Mom would come get Austin and he'd hang at her house, for however long it would have been until Owen arrived. That was our solution. We knew he'd be in good hands and happy with my Mom and we didn't have that sudden "go time, what to do with the toddler??" moments.
    Good plan!! and this means I can come see you after and meet Baby #2! so that is quite excellent as well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get that perfect home birth that you desire this time! I'm hoping for an easier birth as well. We're using a midwife and a doula this time, and if all goes well, any future babies will be had at a birth center or at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this sounds like a fantastic plan! You totally don't want to be worrying about Jett while you're in the middle of your birthing time (though to be honest, I ended up laboring completely at night with Harvey - he was born at 6:32am - and Stella woke up at 7am and came downstairs, so we never ended up sending her anywhere! LOL). I so hope things work out for you to get the home birth experience this time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this is definitely the right thing for you guys. Especially since you were already planning on being there in the summer. I do wonder if you are taking pre-E precautions now to try to avoid it. Are you on medication? I really want you to have this experience. I know it was far from what you envisioned with J. I hope this plays out to your planning.

    ReplyDelete