Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Not With a Shout But a Whisper...

...is how nursing ends.

At just a few weeks shy of 2.5 years old, I think Jett and I have ended our nursing relationship.

With no warning, 3 nights ago, he asked for water instead of milk.

And that was it.

He hasn't mentioned milk since that night.

I feel a little cheated out of the experience of the last nursing session.  I don't remember it the way I hoped I would as I didn't know at the time that it was the last.  It was just another night, like any other, nothing special to mark the occasion.

Intellectually I'm extremely happy as this is EXACTLY how I wanted nursing to end.  No fights.  No struggles.  Just one day he'd be done.

But emotionally...I'm a little sad.  I can't put my finger on why exactly other than the fact that my baby is growing up of course.  But I am, I'm sad.  Even 2.5 years later, I'm sad it's over.

This is something we've done together, just him and me, since the moment he came out. It's extremely bittersweet to see it come to an end.

My boobs are happy.  Latching was getting painful on the pregnant boobs.  And the positioning of him across my belly was also approaching uncomfortableness.

I have no idea what caused the sudden disinterest.  Perhaps the milk became salty as I've heard can happen in pregnancy?  Perhaps he just finally decided he was done.

I guess I'll never know.

I thought this day would never come if I'm being honest.  I had started to contemplate the idea of tandem nursing because this kid would just NOT let go of the milk and I didn't want to force it.

But he did it and with that final act of independence by my first born, my body officially belongs to Baby #2.

So I'll take the 6 month boob break and look forward to beginning anew come August.

It's been fun Baby Jett, I'm glad I have these pictures to remember our time together.


2 comments:

  1. So sad your breastfeeding journey with him has ended its something so special! I've heard your milk can change when pregnant and children will wean on their own. I love how far you made it as my goal with my daughter is 3 years but I know she can decide to stop on her own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally love that it ended to peacefully for you guys.I felt SO horrible when I weaned Stella cold turkey at 17m, but I was so sick and touched out (8w preg) that I just couldn't do it. I still was sad I didn't realize the last time was the last time, but in some ways I'm glad I didn't anticipate and dread it or I'd have cried even more. How cool is it that you get to do this all over again though?!

    ReplyDelete